Monday, October 31, 2011

What's for lunch?

I find packing lunches very difficult. Mostly because my childrens favorite foods are best enjoyed when they are made, not 5 hours later.  And, my children will not eat; cold pizza, soups, pasta salads, pb&j, egg/tuna/chicken salad, Dash will not eat raw veggies, and Elias will only eat strawberries for a fruit.  To me, it seems they are very picky and it is difficult to make a healthy lunch they will actually eat that's not loaded with carbs and empty calories.

Once upon a time, I would make pies.  Healthy pies, that my children LOVED! Sweet potato pie, apple pie, and quiche.  I don't put sugar in the sweet potato pie, and very little in the apple, and I can load up the quiche with veggies like spinach and kale, and my kids will still eat it. These pies will also taste good after sitting in the lunch box all morning, and they are easy to make in advance, pack, and are full of goodness.

Guess what I'm making again...
For starters, sweet potato pie, adapted from Molly Katzen's recipe somewhere in the back of my memory...

First a crust from The Art of Simple Foods
by Alice Waters


Then I put three baked sweet potatoes, some oranges (this time I used clementines)


Some yogurt, honey, eggs, and salt into a blender.


Blend, pour, and bake.  


Ding!  

We eat this with brown rice and something green...like broccoli or peas.  I used to make lemon poppyseed muffins to go along with this...hummmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment