Sunday, August 23, 2009

Marathon Cookies Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

I did not think this morning when I woke up that I would be challenged to a competition.  I hate competitions. Especially against my husband. He will kill to win.  We had to stop playing checkers years ago because of how aggressive he would get while we were playing.  there is no fun in the game for him.  It is all about winning.  I like to play to pass time, to laugh, to be a good sport. He is out for blood.

In an effort to expand enjoyment, I have started baking a lot of cookies.  My family loves my new found attempts to spread joy, even though I have yet to create the "perfect" cookie.  My husband blames my want to use whole wheat flour and unrefined sweeteners.   I blame the overly-fluffy batter I am getting from the traditional recipes.  I prefer a flat, non fluffy cookie.  One with some crunch.  So today, when I announced I was making peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, wade announced he too would be making some cookies.  A bake-off you could say.  The kids would be the judge.  That last part will be my doom.  Kids like sugar, white flour, frosting...I would love a cookie like the one from 101 cookbooks (check out the link here).  That, however, would not make me the winner.  And the winner is what I want to be.  I don't want to be left alone holding my tray of healthy cookies while the kids crowd around Wade devouring his sweet, crispy cookies. 

So, do I throw out honey for sugar and whole wheat for white in an effort to win? Is winning more important than what is really nourishing?  And, my third and not final question is; what are the criteria the kids will rate these cookies on...can health play a role in the points accrued? Or should cookies be bad for you? Is a healthy cookie an oxymoron? Should I focus on health in the main meal, and let cookies be bad bad bad? Oh the dilemmas this challenge brought up for me! 

Marathon Cookies Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment