Sunday, November 27, 2011

Left overs

We had delicious left overs hanging around our kitchen.  The perfect way to use most of them is to just re-create the dinner from the day before.  Warm up the turkey, mash potatoes, and stuffing, and enjoy.  But, there are also a ton of things one could  do, and here are some of what we did...

For breakfast, we put the cranberry sauce in our oatmeal for a delicious and healthy change to our normal oatmeal.

                                        Atticus makes it "snow" on the oatmeal...powdered sugar


yum!



I boiled the turkey carcass in water to make the stock and get all the meat off the bones.  Especially when we buy a free-range turkey or chicken, I feel the need to use everything we can.  In this case, a delicious bone broth was made.  After I boiled the bones for about 12 hours, I drained the broth and added the meat and veggies.  Some bones were soft enough for the dog, and he was so happy!  He also got a lot of skin and a few scraps of meat.  In the end, we had very little waste from the turkey dinner.   
We added a dollop of sour cream to our soup and had some home-made sour-dough bread to dip in the broth.  

Can I just say what a compliment it is when I see someone drinking the very last drop of the soup this way?  All the bowls were empty.  This is a most satisfying and healthy soup.  If you don't make bone broth, I suggest you start.  I also use the broth for cooking our rice, which adds so much goodness to the rice.  I love having a jar of homemade broth in my fridge.  It makes me feel like I am taking good care of my family.  Warm fuzzies...

2 comments:

  1. What great ideas!!! I love the cranberries in the oatmeal...I am so tired of oatmeal and it's only November. We still have so much winter to go...but cranberry oatmeal? I have a feeling that's going to help!

    I just love turkey soup...I wish I was there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were here too Maggie!

    ReplyDelete