Saturday, August 27, 2011

Happy ten year anniversary

Ten years ago, this was my life.
My step-mom made my dress out of fabric she wove.
she left a little room, because there was a baby in my belly. A sweet little bump.
And last night, we celebrated ten years of marriage, and three bumps
that became beautiful boys.
First, we had dinner.  For the boys at home, they were excited to have frozen pizza and a movie (with a babysitter, of course).
I was excited to go out and actually have well prepared food from local sources and organic farms.

First course; 
Drinks of course.  

Cheddar baguette 

Steamed muscles with chorizo in an amazing sweet butter and coconut broth (Wade picked up the bowl and drank the broth. It's that good and we are that country.)

Beets are a favorite of mine. I forgot to take a picture before I ate some.  I was so excited.
A beautiful lightly steamed golden beet (grown on the roof) With a berry sauce (like frosting) and goat cheese and candied walnuts.  This could have been my dinner. Earthy and full of texture and tang.


But no, this was my dinner. Creamy grits and shrimp.  Throw in some homemade blueberry sausage and okra and red peppers.  I picked up the plate to drink this sauce.  And Sea scallops on top of coconut cream risotto.  There was a ball of basil ice cream on top, but again, I waited too long to take the picture. The ice cream was brilliant. It was sweet vanilla with a hint of basil, and it was cold, but it melted into the hot risotto and added more creamy goodness.
to.
die.
for.


Then we headed off to the most beautiful concert venue ever.  Wolf Trap in Vienna Virginia.  It is a national park with a large concert stage.  The Stage is made of wood, and looks to belong among the towering pine trees and swaying Sycamore.  We grabbed a bottle of wine and headed to our seats to hear John Prine's heartbreaking lyrics and scratchy voice and beautiful guitar.  The gentle wind was blowing, the crickets were chirping, and concert was heaven.  I put my head on Wades shoulder and took it all in. A deep breath.  
Ten years.
They flew by. 
And in ten more years, that little bump in the picture above might be in college.

Here's to that.
Here's to a pretty near perfect life.


1 comment:

  1. I loved your wedding. Do u remember Dave showing up in a big cowboy hat? And Mary's toast? U are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete