Monday, August 17, 2009

School Daze


I dread mornings during the school year. I find myself wishing I home schooled or had a job where I left before everyone got up, just to avoided an hour in the morning. Because I work at the school they attend, I have to get all 3 boys ready to leave very early, and drive them to school, and try to get my classroom ready while they run around me like Tasmanian devils. Then I send them out my door and welcome in tiny little tots who are crying and need clean diapers. I get no quiet, break time.


So, you can see why I am a grump in the morning. I have spent a lot of time wondering what job I could get to avoid this mess.


This year, rather than change my job, I am going to try changing my attitude.

(Corney. I know. I don't like affirmations like "change your attitude, change your life". Those make me even more grumpy. Every morning when I am grumpy, the thought trying to get un- grumpy makes me more grumpy.

OK, so we are clear, I tend to be grumpy in the morning. )




I had not even voiced my feelings of despair for the upcoming school-year-of-mornings, when darling husband said, "Can I take them tomorrow?"


I fell to the floor in shock and awe. This is the best present he has ever given me. One morning when I can drive without hearing crying and while the boys hit the shit out of each other. One morning when I can sip coffee and listen to NPR on the way, instead of listening to them singing" jingle bells batman smells" over and over. One morning when I can walk from my car to my classroom at a brisk pace, without lugging lunch boxes and extra socks and whatever else I am constantly carrying for them. One morning I don't have to be in charge of anyone but me. What an absolute luxury!!!


So, this morning, I got to go, by myself. Wade brought the kids to school 40 minutes later, and walked them to class, kissed them, and gave them their lunches, then drove, by himself, to work.


And I felt endlessly guilty...oy vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment